Monday, December 24, 2012

Working Remotely

So today I was working from home - or rather, working remotely, as instead of working from my own home I was working from Dad's home. This should have been straightforward but I did have a minor hiccup in the morning.

Having got up, got my laptop set up and connected to the WiFi, I had issues hooking up on the VPN into the work network. Of course, the problem of this is that all the FAQs, instructions and even the helpdesk number is all stored on the intranet. Which I couldn't get into, as I was unable to connect to anything - from either my laptop or from Dad's computer, which I appropriated to test this.

I had to call into work, to speak to someone and then get them to pass me the service desk number for me to call up. It turned out that my account had been locked at some point during my failed attempts (I'm suspecting due to a caps lock issue having entered the WiFi password in ALL CAPS) - and on none of the subsequent efforts to enter my password did it bother to inform me of this! Having got my account unlocked and got in, the work day proceeded without any significant incident!

No comments: