Monday, December 03, 2012

Routine

So today was the first day back at work, and it was surprisingly easy to get back into the routine. What surprised me most was my (wait for it) conquest of jetlag - watch as I look back on this at the end of the week and complain at my false bravado.

As our flight was relatively early (scheduled to depart at 4pm PST, or midnight GMT) I was pretty awake when it left - particularly as I'd only arisen from bed at about 10:30, so not particularly early, and had a decent night's sleep behind me. Predictably I slept not a wink on the plane, staying awake through the entire journey until we landed (around 10:30am GMT).

After we arrived home, I had fun with unexpected tidying (see yesterday's entry), did a token bit of unpacking and took a shower - then lay back on the couch with Chrissi and caught up with the three Merlin episodes we'd missed, nodding off and on through the last of these. Realising that sleep was winning but having fought hard to stay awake up to this point I felt I could finally concede defeat, and went up to bed for about 8pm.

The result was that I fell straight to sleep and woke up the proverbially bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 5:10am, fully refreshed and back on schedule. I was able to idle on my phone for an hour, get up and still leave early - a very pleasant turn of events. I was fully awake throughout the day and starting to feel tired again now - so maybe I'm back into the correct routine already. It'd be surprising, but possible.

Watch as tomorrow I complain about a night wide awake staring at the ceiling!

No comments: