Wednesday, August 28, 2013

7000 Miles

So today I happened to mark off hitting the 7,000 mile mark in my car. I've not been tracking this particularly per se, but as I accidentally hit the reset trip computer button on the first day I bought it, and have had no reason to track a new trip since, it's been effectively counting my miles since I've owned the car.

Of course, the annoyance (that I noted to Chrissi yesterday evening) is that this counts for absolutely nothing. My insurance premiums and general competence of a driver are both judged on the amount of experience I have in years driving (i.e. what is now around nine months) and not on the actual amount I've covered. Were I to drive barely a mile - or not at all - over the course of the year, this would be rubber-stamped as a year's driving experience under my belt safely negotiated. As I'm driving slightly above-average this is more vexing.

There is of course a balance - a reason why insurance premiums are calculated on an annual mileage basis - which is that the more miles you do, the more you are on the road and so the more liable you are to be in an accident or incident. However, the point where more miles increase as opposed to decrease the risk is a lot further along the road than where I've gotten to so far!

No comments: