Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Spend More Time Explaining My Absences Than Actually Being Present

After a recent good run [read: not abysmal] of blogging, I lapsed again yesterday by not bothering to blog once again, leaving the day devoid of content, wit and insight. The main reason for this was that I didn't head on the computer at all last night - on arriving home Chrissi and I immediately went straight out again and headed to the gym, and afterwards I was showering and resting and again not particularly inclined to come onto the computer.

I know, headed to the gym! The casual indifference with which I wrote that and then moved on without fuss is marked, as if this routine is so ingrained that to even draw attention to it is unnecessary. Particularly now with a single gym session under my belt, it's all so mundane. Run-of-the-mill. Old hat.

It wasn't, of course. It was a lot of effort (which it should have been) and I felt shattered afterwards (which I should have done) as I simply wasn't used to pushing myself that hard for that long. That my warm-up of a 6 minute jog on the treadmill is not far off half of my rarely occurring 'run' exercise - that should have said enough with regards to how unusual this burst of exercise was. I followed that with a 1000m row (target: under 4:30, achieved comfortably on the clock but not without effort), 10 minutes on the ever-baffling crosstrainer (where after a helpful comment from Chrissi I spent most of the time trying to work out whether I was running forward or backwards), some time spent on various machines which work various muscles I don't think I have and then 12 minutes on the bike at the end.

I was pleased that I went, however. I didn't even feel huge after-effects today from it, although the occasional twinge and tiredness did confirm my decision to make today a rest day and postpone my half-considered swim after work. Perhaps tomorrow I'll do a swim, and then with Friday a second rest day this sets us up nicely for the personal training session on Saturday.

Hopefully.

No comments: