Sunday, September 12, 2010

Good and Bad

So I missed out on my blog yesterday which was a disappointment after a solid run. I had intended to do it, as well, but it just never happened. I put it off, forgot, then watched Match of the Day, had still not remembered and by then it was well past midnight and I went to bed.

So, a recap on yesterday in a Good/Bad format follows.

Good: My new computer arrived, and after much unpacking it was shiny.
Bad: After a quick call to identify the problem, it became apparent they'd failed to include a VGA/DVI adapter in the pack - i.e. I couldn't actually connect the monitor correctly to the graphics card, only into the motherboard (and it had to go via the graphics card).
Good: I managed to wander up the village and get a DVI lead within about ten minutes of this problem.
Bad: Had issues with the drivers for my wireless card. I needed to be online to get the correct ones to work with Windows 7, and couldn't connect to this without having the drivers for my wireless card.
Good: Managed to get them from my reserve computer, burn them onto a CD and then transfer onto my new computer. Worked a charm.
Bad: After returning to my computer after an interval of 10-20 minutes, there was no screen input.
Bad: On attempting to fix this and eventually having to just restart the machine, it wouldn't load Windows.
Bad: Further attempts to load Windows met with the same problem.
Bad: System Repair found no problems. There was clearly still a problem as nothing would start - not even the boot menu.

This does not bode well. To have this much collapsing within about three hours of using it suggests there may be a little problem here. Have a feeling I will be computerless for a good while again until this is sorted.

No comments: