Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dedication Irony

So this afternoon at work I was at a meeting in central London which finished at 4pm, and by the time I was back to Waterloo it was a little after 4:30pm. Had I been on my own, I would have been sorely tempted to go home, however I was with my line manager / team leader type person. While he suggested I go straight home, I was in my 'I am dedicated' guise, knowing full well that he would be going back to the office, so I claimed I had some things to tidy up too.

Then on the train back, he called our manager just to check on something else, and was told that he shouldn't go back to the office and should go straight home. We were at this point already on a train that took us back to Raynes Park but also on to Surbiton. At this point, I could have gotten home at about 5:15 had I gone directly from Waterloo, but I didn't.

Of course, having already committed to going back to the office to do something, I couldn't very well change my mind now and talk myself out of it. Annoying! So I did get back to the office at 5pm (although I was sorely tempted to get off the train, walk down a couple of carriages and sneak back onto it). I got home a couple of hours later.

No comments: