Saturday, October 20, 2012

Poker & Pizza

I am once more a day behind on my blogging, so it means that I actually have room to still fit in a blog when I run out of things to say about the current day.

Yesterday evening friends came over for poker and pizza, two fine forms of entertainment. It was a little while since we've seen everyone so it was good to be organised and collect people in one place. In fact, the benefit of planning ahead by a month or so meant that we managed to reserve a day at the first attempt, which is a new record.

So it was an entertaining evening and good to catch up with people - I won the first 'practice' round of poker, which was suspended when pizza arrived. After some great hands first round (QQ which turned into a full house, AK were the highlights) I then had absolutely nothing to shy at all game second round, which was co-won by Chrissi and Laura, when they abandoned rather than fight it out to the death. A distinct lack of commitment I feel. The hard luck story of the night was Paul, who hit two great hands and was beaten by a monster hand both times (His JJ555 ran into my aforementioned QQQ55, and he got taken out by pocket queens held by Laura second time round).

After Chris and Natalie had taken a sensibly early departure time, Paul and Laura stayed and the four of us watched a film randomly selected from LoveFILM. We picked Source Code, which looked like the sort of film that was easy watching. It was too easy to watch - it was terrible. The concept was initially interesting, but the plot was pretty shocking - one of those magic tricks were everything is worked out through lots of use of the word quantum. I wouldn't recommend it except as one of those films you rent and watch to point and laugh at a lot.

No comments: