Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Overdue Catching Up

Last week before we headed up to Chester I was idly searching for entertainment, and flicking through the available TV series on LoveFilm I made the fatally flawed decision to start catching up on new old Doctor Who episodes. I say new old because it is the earlier series of the reboot, so the seasons with the Ecclestone Doctor (of which I had seen one episode) and the seasons with Tennant as the Doctor (of which I had seen the third series with David Tennant, but not the first two).

Over the course of a few evenings I've now caught up to have watched the entirety of the first series and have only two episodes remaining in the second series (the first Tennant series). I now have only one series to watch to be properly caught up again.

Having watched these, I can now see what some commentators have said about the more childish nature of some of the Russell T Davies-written episodes. They seem a little too twee in parts - none more so than the ridiculous farts and other bodily noises of the Slitheen family which was encounted with Ecclestone as the Doctor. There are the odd moment which is deeper or shows a more nuanced Doctor, but it seems a little too adventure-friendly and does make me long for the deeper if more frustrating storyline arcs of the Moffat-era show with Matt Smith as the Doctor. At least there were no farting aliens.

No comments: