Thursday, October 07, 2010

Inverted Tourism

So as mentioned in yesterday's blog, my family began their arrival yesterday - Dad, Gill and Rachel flew in. This vanguard will be bolstered by reinforcements arriving tomorrow.

Overall it was a very weird experience - I was waiting with Chrissi at the airport for them to arrive, and couldn't shake the nagging feeling that it was the wrong way round. Waiting with Chrissi for others is not something we've done before! Waiting for Chrissi, or going to an airport to take a flight back home - all of this is something that I am familiar with or have been expecting.

The same was true when in the evening, after having collected them and delivered them to their hotel, we had a wander around Downtown Disney and grabbed a meal too. Having been there several times before myself, it was unusual to have my family there. I felt very much like I was the host as much as Chrissi, and not the visitor. In addition to this, I had the overall feeling that this was wrong and that I shouldn't have my family here, it didn't make any sense!

I'm sure this will continue when other family arrive tomorrow, but as that is not immediate family that should be not quite so bizarre, I would think!

No comments: