Tuesday, April 06, 2010

What Change?

So this evening on my way back from work I was accosted at the train station by two people desparately handing out leaflets.

One was waiting as I walked towards Raynes Park station, on one side. "Try voting Conservative this time?" he said hopefully, the pleading in his voice in vain. "Probably not," I replied. I like to let them down gently - in hindsight, a line about the temperature of hell and how it's not below freezing would be more applicable to my voting intentions. Seemed like a pleasant enough fellow though.

On the other side I got the traditional face of the Tory party. A grumpy, gruff, balding man, probably in his 60s. Looked a little like an anaemic version of Prince Philip. He mumbled something about "vote for change" in an utterly uninspiring fashion to me, and ignored the two people in front of me (well, they were a little scruffily dressed, and we wouldn't want that sort of oiks in our Conservative party, would we? Probably on the way to mug someone, youth today).

It was a depressing picture of exactly how much this party has changed ... barely at all.

No comments: