Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Slightly Marginalised

There's nothing to inspire dread at any workplace than the fact that management have come up with a new process or review system. This sort of system typically multiples bureaucracy and crushes any efficiencies.

In the less abstract, I'm slightly more dreading and concerned about a specific plan at work to have a system for reviewing and ensuring that specifications pass a quality assurance and design standard. The writing of specifications, overseeing their approval and catering to design criteria is what I do.

It's tough enough to get a specification signed off nowadays anyway - it took me three weeks to get a simple five page specification signed off back in February/March. I'm concerned that if each specification has to undergo a review, either it will (a) be so brief as to be irrelevant and a waste of everyone's time, or (b) be so in-depth that the entire process slows to a crawl to accommodate it.

Oh, and I'm a little peeved that this is mostly at the moment my job, and steps I've taken to take a common-sense approach in this field have apparantly been disregarded.

Fun times!

No comments: