Thursday, March 15, 2007

Planning Ahead

After yesterday's embarassing catastrophe as I forgot to actually remember what my idea for the blog is, I am writing this ahead and saving it as a draft. So come today (as you read this), I can simply publish it and it will be here. Untouched.

So, my post a couple of days back on a couple of songs that make you feel always good. And I was inspired enough to try and come up with the idea of an 'ultimate' song listing. Because there are some ultimate songs that simply are unparalleled. Again the wonder that is YouTube is here to link to from each song name, where I could find one. So here's my go at some of the real ultimate songs that, in my humble opinion - and my opinion is far more humble than yours - should simply be stored for posterity and really immortalised. In no particular order:

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
The Who - Baba O'Reilly
Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
R.E.M. - End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
Don McLean - American Pie
Guns and Roses - Paradise City

It has to be said, when you listen to some of the classic tunes over the years, you have to realise how pitiful our generation is for music. There's typical average stuff, but I can't think of a single song in the last, what, 15 years perhaps, that would even come anywhere close to this sort of level. You have to go back to the early 90s and perhaps Smells Like Teen Spirit approaches it. What's our generation of music going to be remembered for, apart from taking the classics and destroying them with crappy cover versions? Or am I missing some hidden gems?

No comments: