Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tough On Headlines, Tough On The Causes Of Headlines

This evening I was reading the Evening Standard on the train on the way home, which despite my reluctance I usually end up doing. This featured more depressing stories to cheer me up.

As my American wife prepares to submit her visa application to be able to join me in the UK, I read that the government will soon be introducing new restrictions and checks on spouse visas, requiring that the UK-based spouse has a certain amount of money or income. As someone who is currently going through what is honestly a nerve-wracking and terrifying process dominated by uncertainty, new introductions here in a bid to cut 'bogus marriages' are honestly soul-destroying.

The saddest thing is, this won't stop bogus marriages. It won't reduce them. People who want to get them will still get them. In this urge to sound tough on immigration, all this government is doing is stopping people who love each other being able to be together.

Honestly, if that's what my country now is, it's not a country I want to be in.

No comments: