Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Naming the Day

Two days so far this week at work we have been treated to our Canadian classic rock station (Toronto's very own Q 107 I have now learned). The classic tracks and cliched North-American adverts have been enjoyed by all, but it does spark confusion on a few points:

  • It's not Friday. Canadian Rock Radio used to be a Friday morning treat, then gradually expanded to encompass all of Friday's listening hours. I suddenly have a suspicion that the weekend is upon me - an even more frustrating uncertainty when this happens on a Monday.
  • The timing is all wrong. By selfishly living in a different time zone, the radio presenters confuse me by talking about morning in mid-afternoon, and the breakfast show starts at 1pm.
  • The weather is wrong. I listen to the weather news on auto-pilot and suddenly wonder why it's talking about weather nothing like our own weather forecast.

  • There are upsides - I have a much better awareness of what's happening in the baseball from the sports reports, although I really only learn about how the [Toronto] Blue Jays are getting on. I also hear information on the NHL should that take my fancy. Oh, and the music is pretty good. But I think keeping it to Fridays is a better call from now on - you can have too much of a good thing.

    No comments: