Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day of the Week

I'm off sick today so it gives me the perfect opportunity to write a blog, not only does it give me something to distract myself from blowing my nose but it also allows me to recap some events over the past couple of weeks.

What's My Name? Highlight of last week was definitely Chrissi's letter confirming receipt of her paperwork for the indefinite leave to remain. Unfortunately this was addressed to a 'Ms Coolbajeh' which is not her name. They managed to interpret a 'u' as a 'j' and a 'g' as an 'e'. Suspecting that having the wrong name on the documentation might be a hindrance, she called only to be met with a baffled 'what do you expect us to do about it?' response. This might seem a tad self-explanatory - but apparently not. A letter confirming the correct spelling of her name has since been dispatched.

Work Ethic: I was due to head to poker a couple of weeks back on the first Thursday (moved because of Valentine's Day being on the second of the month), but opted against it as I was feeling a bit under the weather. This was a fortunate decision as I ended up being given something to urgently finish up before a meeting due to take place on the Friday - not even leaving work until poker would usually have started, and bringing my laptop home to complete more then. Despite not finishing until 9:30pm I was actually fairly positive and upbeat about it - it's nice to be doing something enjoyable!

Cooking Class: One of the Christmas presents Chrissi and I got was an evening at a cooking class at a restaurant in Clapham (one of Jamie Oliver's). We did this last Friday, and it was rather enjoyable - there was a choice of several different types of food, and we chose Mexican street food. We got to make three-four dishes, and then got to eat them while there, which was good as by the time we'd finished the cooking section it was closer to 9:30 and I was getting a little peckish! Not sure how much I remembered, but we got sent the recipes and I think we may even use a few of them from time to time!

Ongoing Extractor Fan Saga: Last Friday I was working at home so that the handyman could come and once more review the extractor fan in the bathroom. Having been fixed four times in a little under two years - and having had a new one affixed three weeks ago on the Tuesday, and that had broken by Saturday, it was obviously a problem. Having sawed a hole in the bathroom ceiling, adjusted the flue so it wasn't bent and blocking most of the air flow, we're now awaiting the electrician to install the new fan - and then we'll see if this does the trick. We won't hold our breath.

More in coming days ...

No comments: