Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tragic We Don't Learn This, Really

As you will all know, being a history graduate one of the odd things I like is actually reading historical books (well, I enjoy it now I'm not forced to at least!).

I picked up one in America back in November, which I've been browsing on and off - Great Documents of American History. I know, the title is hardly a grabber, but it's a superb book. A really good read, against all expectation, even if you need to take it in small chunks.

But what I'm so amazed about is the sheer power of some of what is contained. Considering the, ah, colonial relation with America, we strangely don't learn much about the War of Independence.

But we should, if for no other reason than the Declaration of Independence stands as one of the greatest documents ever written. Even now, it has the oratory power to sear across the page. Are there many passages written throughout history with the same power as that text, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"?

It's a shame we don't learn about it, for we should. Clinging to past triumphs is all very well, but the sheer breadth of history we miss out on through it is saddening.

No comments: