Friday, August 08, 2008

Alanis Would Be Proud ...

So after my comment yesterday about the most congested trains, and how I've been avoiding mine, I had a hellish journey home today.

There had been a fatality at Surbiton. Now, I don't know the details or I'd call them selfish. But it messed up my journey, my 20 minutes commute back to Woking took closer to quadruple that time. This included getting on a crowded train from Clapham Junction - so crowded that I could only actually get ON the train at the third set of doors I got to. It was slightly packed to put it mildly.

The ease with which our transport system can be put into total chaos is a little depressing. Not to take away from the tragic loss of life, but you do wonder how we can be paranoid about terrorists striking at the transport infrastructure and causing chaos, when we'd probably have more disorder and impact having synchronised 'fatalities' at key feeder stations around the capital.

Just to note, the title 'Alanis would be proud' refers only to the title of the song. It should be remembered, as per the classic Ed Byrne skit, that nothing in the song is ironic. It's just slightly unfortunate. If you haven't seen this, do look it up on YouTube.

No comments: