Monday, April 15, 2013

Reaction

It was odd that despite being American, the only people she knew in the Boston area Chrissi knew through me. There were two people who I used to work with who are there now - one who lives there now with her husband, the other who is visiting his girlfriend this week. My thoughts first turned to them after hearing of the explosions at the marathon today.

There was some of that awkward etiquette that can only come from being British. Should you like the status of someone who says they and their family are okay? While it's something I want to acknowledge my relief of, I didn't want to 'like' it. You shouldn't have to like something such as that, it shouldn't happen for you to have to like that people are okay in the aftermath of such an event. "Hurrah you're okay!" seems - to me - a hint inappropriate when you know there are people who are not; it's a matter of relief not cheer.

Equally, do you message people you haven't heard from - and if so, to say what? "I hope you're okay" - as if they were to get this and not be okay, what would they do? "If you get this I hope you're okay" feels even more ridiculous. In the end you settle for something awkward and muddled.

Anyway, everyone I know over there is safe and well, if not undoubtedly a little shook up as a result.

No comments: