Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Andrew on Tour - Part Two [Manchester]

So, two Saturdays ago I was being decisive and going to the Grand Final in Manchester at Old Trafford. I mentioned this in my blog a few weeks previously, but noone applied for interest. So I contacted an old friend from uni, Stuart who was one of my housemates in second year, and a Hull FC supporter, and asked if he wanted to go. He did, and his girlfriend Emma who I also knew from then did too.

So I went up to his on the Saturday morning; for an Arsenal supporter he sadly lives right outside the Emirates. And I mean, literally, right outside. Tragic, I know.

So we drove up to Manchester - I say 'we' but I was the only one not to drive, logical really as I still don't have a license. The final was Leeds vs St. Helens for those of you who were not aware; which I would not be surprised considering it was entirely overshadowed by both the football and rugby union that day, and noone would actually know it was on unless they bothered to find out for themselves.

The atmosphere was great and really enjoyable at the game. The only downside was that after a tight first half, Saints got really quite obliterated in the second half. They didn't play particularly poorly, but looked a bit toothless in attack, while Leeds defended well. Final score was a mismatch which didn't represent the true state of the game, as it was tight but Leeds did deserve to win.

This was actually the first time I watched Saints lose live, a run including four Challenge Cup finals and a Grand Final - not a bad record. However, despite that it was a really enjoyable day and I'm delighted I actually made the effort to make the contact and make it work. Good stuff all round.

No comments: