Thursday, August 23, 2007

Time For Another Update

Well, I haven't updated in quite a while, so I thought I'd provide a little comment on my activities since I've got my job and stopped the jobhunting.

This is actually really little. I've done bits and pieces, but nothing in great length. The only thing I have really acheived is getting a wireless network set up at home. What this means is that, as of today when my PCI Adaptor arrived in the post, I can get internet in my room on my own desktop as opposed to the far slower house computer.

This is, in fact, where I am now. It's not exciting, it's not that interesting. But it's just about all I've done the last week and a half or so. It took a while to do - but eventually after three-four trips up the village to check whether the router I needed was in yet, I managed to get it. Then no sooner had I got that then I discovered the PCI Adaptor I needed wasn't actually included. I wish they'd told me the previous week, but oh well; I sent off for that and that arrived this morning.

Following an hour battle with McAfee Privacy Service, I was connected. Let me give this piece of advice to people; don't use this McAfee service. It's useless. All it seems to do is slow things down and prevent you from doing things. It secures your computer from yourself. What it was doing was effectively preventing me from connecting to the internet for more than three minutes at a time. After much battling to uninstall it (I'd had this problem before on the home desktop), it eventually succumbed at about the fourth attempt.

So, internet in my room. It's just like being back at uni.

No comments: