Saturday, April 12, 2008

Flashback One: Environment Doomed

As I didn't provide any updates while I was in America, I'm now going to do it belatedly in the form of flashbacks. This is an awesome new gimmick of mine.

A lot of us here have been seeing the green agenda pushed more and more. I think it's a good point - recycling what you can, walking short journeys, using public transport, turning off electrical appliances to save energy and what have you. I've been quite an advocate myself, in a quiet non-preaching way.

However, after my recent trip to the States, I have come to a realisation - what is the point? You travel down the freeway in Orange County - that most challenging of terrain, after all - and every other vehicle, no exaggeration, is either a truck or an SUV. A 'small' car is the average four-door saloon. I hate to think what they'd think of a mini, smart car or equivalent, it'd be a shock.

The end result of this is that I'm wondering what the point is. No matter what effort we make, people wasting their time in SUVs and trucks when they have no reason to be will dwarf the impact of those few people making the effort.

It's tragic, but true.

1 comment:

Lorelei said...

Some of us (like me) drive little fuel efficient cars. Its actually becoming a bigger push now for the little half-breeds that are electric and gas. They're bigger than you think, but they are specially and get to use faster lanes that my civic does :P